Wednesday, January 14, 2015

QUICK PAD THAI


I love Pad Thai.  I have been kind of intimidated by it.  No more.  To be fair though probably the Pad Thai you find in the restaurants takes way more care.  But on the side of Quick, Flavorful and Easy, this is the BOMB!

One commenter at this site said, " I left out the cilantro and peanuts since they're only a garnish."  Um, no, cilantro packs a major flavorful punch and it really plays off the fish sauce quite a bit- as does the lime.  Personally, I would never leave it out unless I had guests over and they hated cilantro. Even then, honestly, I would reconsider making the dish.  I think cilantro in this is just that important.

Quick and Simple Pad Thai
Go here for the original recipe at Fine Cooking.  I used Ramen Noodles in the interest of cooking it up quick.


2 tablespoons peanuts
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
a couple leaves of mint, chopped
1 package Ramen noodles
1 sweet onion chopped
1/2 cup bean sprouts
2 tablespoons roasted Anaheim chiles
1 cup small shrimp


the sauce:
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon Hoison sauce
1 teaspoon chili-garlic paste
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
juice of 1/2 a lime

Mix the sauce, set aside.

Boil the Ramen noodles.  In a sauté pan, lightly sauté onion and then add peppers.  Add the noodles once they are done, then bean sprouts, peanuts, shrimp, mint and two or three tablespoons of the sauce. Cook one minute more just to heat things up, sprinkle on cilantro and POW- a meal!

1 comment:

Colette (Coco) said...

I

L
O
V
E

pad Thai and your sauce sounds very good, Lori. Gotta try it!