Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Vietnamese Carrot and Daikon Radish Pickle (Do Chun)



I was through with canning.  I put away my canner, I put away my lids and rings and warded off any future canning projects because I was done for the season.  Done I tell you!  Then I went crazy buying carrots at the market last week and I have this daikon radish in my fridge and well, I have no room in my fridge at present because I have been roasting squash and freezing it lately.  I actually have a pretty small fridge.  Its filled with end of the summer pickles.  Had to get those in before all the cukes were gone.   

I was left with no choice.  Can it!  I had to.  Noooooo. 

I will be grateful.  After Thanksgiving is over and I want some new fresh taste, I will pull out one of these sweet little jars and have me a Banh Mi sandwich.  Maybe even a turkey Banh Mi!


Vietnamese Carrot and Daikon Pickle  (Do Chun)
Adapted from this recipe via Ball Canning.  One of the best sources of info on canning.

You can do any size.  If you just want to do one jar, cut it way back and why bother even canning it. Put it in your fridge and in a week, you will have a tasty pickle to pair with your Vietnamese food or to go on your Bahn Mi sandwich.  Just make sure your vinegar ratio is 2:1 and your water sugar is 2:1.  1 tablespoon or more of salt per cup.

2 pounds carrots
2 pounds daikon radish
3 cups white vinegar
3 cups water
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons Kosher salt
1 clove garlic per jar
1/4 teaspoon chili flakes per jar

Heat vinegar, water, sugar and salt.  While you are waiting for that to come to a boil. 
Cut carrots and daikon into matchstick sizes. 

Clean/sterilize jars and lids that you will be canning in.  Fill jars with your matchstick carrots and daikon.  Add 1/4 teaspoon or more chili flakes and a clove of garlic to each jar.  If you like a lot of heat add more chili flakes.

Once your liquid has boiled for a couple minutes, pour it into your jars, distributing evenly. If I am rally close but do not have quite enough liquid I will fill the jars with a little more vinegar.  If you are like a 1/4 inch from where you are suppose to be lets say.  

Fill jars to a 1/4 inch head space.  Place lids on and rings.

Process 10 minutes. 


1 comment:

Healthytips said...

Thanks for sharing such beautiful information with us. I hope you will share some more information about daikon radish pickle.Please keep sharing.
Daikon Radish Leaves Benefits For Health