Monday, December 2, 2013

Butter Topped Bread


Where have I been?  I was on break... after Disney, I needed a vacation.  But the girls were off from school a few days later for Thanksgiving.  I finally had a chance to catch my breath and have a cup of tea.  So here I sit with my Chai, writing to you about this fabulous bread.

These days there are so many people who veer away from the mere mention of the word bread.  Wheat?  Yikes.  I know for some of you, you simply cant eat it.  I get that.  But some people are a little overboard in my opinion about bread.  A slice of bread is not a bad thing in a day filled with vegetables, fruit and lean protein.  A loaf of bread sure isnt okay.  Yes, white processed flour does make you crave more and of course, so does sugar.  But a slice of bread?  Maybe I am in denial.  I do like a lot of whole grains like quinoa, brown rice, wheat berries, oats... But you have to have some white bread once in a while. And if you are going to have it.  Make it a good one.

THIS is a good one.  Tasty, delicious, great for toasting.  My kids love it.  And let me tell you, turkey sandwiches on this bread were mouth watering.

Butter Topped Bread

9 to 10 cups unbleached all purpose flour ) I used King Arthur
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons butter, soft
3 1/2 cups warm water
4 1/2 teaspoons yeast

Mix all dry ingredients together in a mixer or by hand.  Add in the butter and then the water.  Once all the water is in, decide if you want to add that tenth cup.  I usually dont.  But when I bring it out of the mixer, I give it some hand kneading and add probably about a 1/2 of a cup more of flour.

I do not proof my yeast because I use instant and frankly, I read that you really didnt have to with today's yeast so I dont.  I never had a problem.  I always get a good rise.  If you want to then by all means go that route.

Turn dough in a large bowl with a little bit of oil to coat.  Cover and rise 1 hour.

Remove  from bowl and divide into two.  Place one half on a floured surface and smooth down into a 12 inch square.  Tightly roll it up and place in a greased loaf pan. I use a 10 x 5 pan put out by Chicago Metallic.  It holds a 1 1/2 pound loaf.  I have two and I love them!

Bake in a preheated 425F oven. I have a water spritzer so that when I put in the loafs I squirt it on the walls of the oven.  This gives it a little bit of a crisp crust.  If you like yours on the soft side then dont do this.  Bake for fifteen minutes and then tent with foil.  Place back in oven for another fifteen minutes.  Remove from oven and take off foil, take out of loaf pan and place on cooling racks. Brush melted butter over tops of loafs.  I usually use about two tablespoons of butter.

1 comment:

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

I love making bread! It smells so good and tastes even better.