Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Scones


I went to the store today because I had to get one more thing.  I went to Kohls to get some lounge pants for my Dad and I had to stop and laugh.  The store was filled with last minute, procrastinating men. It's particularly funny because my husband does the same thing.  And I know, he probably is out there right now as I write this.  He said he is going to the gym but is he really... ?

Sometimes I am amused by this and sometimes it irks me.  Why can't he have the foresight to think of me early on, consider what I might like... and then go and buy it- you know, like, a couple weeks ago.  Why?  Is this a man thing?  Or is this my husband and a few other procrastinating men out there?

Well, if you are home and not last minute shopping- make some scones.  Have them tomorrow morning for breakfast with some jam on them and a spot of tea.

Buttermilk Scones
Printable version here.
1 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
2 tablespoons sugar
3 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2  teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup melted butter

Beat together the buttermilk, egg and sugar.  In another bowl, combine 3 cups flour together with the baking powder, soda and salt.

Add about 2/3 of the flour mixture to the buttermilk and stir well.

Gradually add the melted butter, incorporating it thoroughly into the mixture.

Stir in the remaining flour mixture. At this point you can add whatever you like.  Raisins, chips, blueberries, cranberries...

A little more flour may be necessary to form a stiff dough.

Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface and knead for several minutes.

Shape into a circle and cut into 8 triangles. I put them into my scone pan.

Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Err on the side to short in the oven because they can dry out easily if left in too long.

If you have them the next day, pop them into the microwave for about 20 seconds.  My daughter likes them with some butter and some sugar sprinkled over them.

Tell you about my sweet potato version soon...

Now, for some pictures of she-wolf with her Christmas duds on.  I do have to say that Caina loves wearing fancy collars. 

Does this face say "love" or what.

No comments: