Sunday, December 8, 2013

Butternut Squash with Red Lentils


Easy, healthy and delicious.  Those are some key words for dinner ideas this time of year.  The last thing I want to do is be in the kitchen anymore than I have to.  Lots of Holiday baking.  This year and really last year I havent really done a lot of holiday baking.  So easy to eat too many cookies.  At least for me.  And the more decadent the cookie, the harder it is for me to resist.  Gingerbread cookies, while I love them are a little easier for me to resist then say chocolate mint crinkles. Goodness gracious.

Strategy:  Make less holiday cookies.  The ones I do make, bake them, eat two and freeze them right away.

On to the healthy food of the day.  Butternut Squash and Lentils, Ethiopian style.
This is niter kibbeh. Oh yeah!


Red Lentils and Butternut Squash 
The hardest part about this delicious Ethiopian style recipe is cutting the butternut squash.  Once you get that done, the meal will cook up in under 30 minutes. 

3 cups butternut squash, cubed
3 cups water
1 cup red lentils
2 tablespoons flavored niter kibbeh, find that recipe here or butter
1 medium onion
1 inch ginger, grated
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon turmeric


Saute onions in 1 tablespoon ghee until translucent.  Add garlic, cook one minute more.  Add water, lentils and spices. When the mixture comes to a boil add the squash.  Cover and cook until squash is tender.  Stir in remaining tablespoon of butter and serve.





No comments: