Thursday, December 19, 2013

Chocolate Meatball Cookie



 
One of the cookies made for the exchange was a "chocolate meatball cookie".  My friends family calls these Chocolate Tutu's.  You can find slight variations on the recipe as with most recipes.  I like mine with a little less spice in them.  I like the spice, dont get me wrong, but for me it throws me off when mixed with chocolate.  I think I would probably go with omitting the cloves and the nutmeg or maybe just a pinch of them- say a teaspoon of each instead of a tablespoon. I put a few other modifications based on another recipe.

In looking these up on Google a few years ago I only found one person who had made them.  I was so excited.  I made them that year (find that recipe here)but have not made them since.  I think I just forgot about them.  Now, if you look up chocolate tutu you will find quite a few recipes.

I did find a bakery online when I did my search that sells them and defines them as such:  A traditional Sicilian cookie, also known as “Toto” or “Tetu”.  Round Chocolate cookies with walnut chunks and chocolate chips, coated with a light glaze.

My husband is Sicilian and has never heard of these.  But then, his mother was not a baker.  She just wasn't into baking.  She was an absolutely beautiful woman, pure of heart and lovely to be around.  I miss her so much.  I often wish she was here to see her Grandkids and enjoy their silliness.  I imagine her watching on in spirit.

I will digress and tell you a story about how beautiful she was.  When my husband took me home to meet his folks of course I was very nervous.  When I walked into the room and met her she greeted me with kisses.  Tons of kisses on my cheek as was her m.o.  I felt so instantly loved and welcomed.  Any nervousness I felt instantly vanished.  Besos/Kisses to Nona from her Grand kids and all of us!

Chocolate Meatball Cookie
From the cookie exchange but altered with my recipe a little.

1 cup shortening or butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 tablespoon cinnamon (1 teaspoon)
1 tablespoon cloves (1/4 teaspoon)
1 tablespoon nutmeg (1/2 teaspoon)
5 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup cocoa powder
5 cups flour
1 cup milk
1 cup mini chocolate chips
add ins: raisins, cherries or nuts

Preheat oven to 375F and grease a few cookie sheets.

Cream shortening and sugar together until creamy.  Add in eggs, one at a time.  In another bowl combine dry ingredients together.  Add dry ingredients to the shortening mix in increments, alternating with the milk.  Add in mini chocolate chips or whatever add ins you want.

Form into 1 inch balls.  Place "meatballs" on greased cookie sheet.  Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool one minute and transfer to wire rack.

While still warm, glaze the cookies.

1 box confectioner's sugar
1 cup cocoa
1 cup water

or you can omit the cocoa, as some people do, and just do a plain confectioners glaze.

No comments: