Saturday, October 25, 2014

Pumpkin Turkey Chili


I loved this dish.  Didn't even need cheese.  Super delicious.  Super satisfying.  I would say super light but that would imply to some people that it wasn't as good.  It really was.  I would so make it again.

One thing I do with my beans for soups and chilis is to mash them up.  Both m kids will pick the beans out. Even though in a spoonfull of chili you would not necessarily taste the bean...  I usually mash up two thirds of the beans.  A few in for looks and the mashed up ones to make sure I deliver some nutrition. Its not a sneaky thing, its just what I do.  Besides that mashed up beans makes the broth more gravy like and thick.  I always do it with minestrone and pasta fagioli.

Pumpkin Chili

3 cups roasted pumpkin (can totally use butternut squash or anyother kind of squash)
2 pounds ground turkey
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, minced
1 can cannelloni beans
2 generous tablespoons chili
1 generous tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 roasted pablano chili (I freeze them in the summer but you could use the canned chilis)
1 tablespoon garlic
2 cups oven roasted tomatoes (so worth every moment of your time)
1 -12 ounce bottle of pumpkin ale (totally optional- it is good with and without)
water- as needed, will be thicker depending on what ingredients you use or dont use

Sauté onion in olive oil.  When the onions are translucent add the turkey. Break the turkey up as it goes. Let the turkey meat brown a little then add all of your other ingredients. Bring to a boil.  Cover and let simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes.  Flavors will be even better the next day.  Quite honestly, I make most of my chili's and soups the day before so everything has time to marry.




No comments: