Sunday, March 15, 2015

Gluten Free Naan Pizza


I make gluten free pizza when the rest of the family is enjoying my homemade pizza.  Normally this would be kind of sad but I have never really been a huge fan of pizza. The first time I made it I used a store bought one, it was okay.  The second time I made it, which I posted here it was good.  The thing I don't like is that instead of it having a certain chew that I miss about real bread, it is more like biting into a savory cake.

Enter this idea.  Its a recipe for gluten free naan.  Since I LOVE naan, I had to try it.  I will say the recipe is definitely a challenge technique wise but worth your patience to get it right.   The pile below is the fruits of my labor.  It needed a ton of potato starch to roll it out.  Yes, the recipe still needs perfection in my opinion but I can live with my results for sure. ( The original recipe says it should come out like mash potatoes consistency but  alas, its a bit like rolling out mashed potatoes.)

I put it in a 450 degree oven with my toppings on and left it in just long enough that the cheese melted.  The onions on top were sheer goodness.

Gluten Free Naan

3/4 cup brown rice flour
3/4 rice flour
3/8 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup all purpose gluten free flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cooking oil
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons xanthan
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons yeast
potato starch as needed

Combine dry ingredients: brown rice flour, rice flour, cornstarch, all purpose gluten free flour, teaspoon salt, baking powder, xanthan.  In a small bowl mix warm water with the honey, stir to combine.  Sprinkle on yeast and set aside to become frothy. Mix wet ingredients- buttermilk, eggs, oil and then finally the yeast mixture.  Pour into dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.  Beat for about 4 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes.

Sprinkle potato starch on surface place a handful of mixture onto potato starch.  Sprinkle potato starch over top and roll.  You have to use the potato starch pretty liberally.  You could try using parchment. Roll out a round, flat piece.  Transfer to hot skillet heat for about five minutes.  Flip to other side until just golden.  Remove from griddle and start again.

1 comment:

Colette (Coco) said...

Looks so yummy, Lori.
I adore naan!