Monday, March 23, 2015

Gluten Free Pumpkin Tart


It's been an interesting gluten free journey.  I'm back to being gluten free.  I feel silly going back and forth.  I think my friends might think its all in my head or I don't know what I am talking about.  I want to go to the doctors and get checked for gluten allergies and Celiac disease.  But there are two things that prevent me.  One is money, since we pretty much pay the full shot for everything these days.  I hardly think it is worth it since nothing really changes- I still would be gluten free. Secondly, getting tested for gluten sensitivity or Celiac means that I have to start eating it again.  This means all of the symptoms that I get will return and that is no picnic.  Waking up in the morning with my joints aching, numbness in my hands, swelling of all my joints, blood pressure going up, metallic taste in my mouth (immediately when I eat a gluten product, bathroom problems and a few others that I will not get into.

The thing of it is, they don't always see a gluten allergy either. 

For a while in between the last time I quit gluten I went back to eating it.  Not a lot, I kept it to a minimum most days.  But all my symptoms started coming back.  I knew I needed to make a change.

Obviously, some of the other changes I am making is watching my calories.  I am definitely not at a speed course for losing weight.  I reduced my calories a little, a livable amount.  I am still exercising and really kind of amped that up to a more aerobic level (lots of jumping).  With all of this, I lose about a pound a week.  No big deal really, but this would mean 50 some pounds at the end of the year and that would be a very welcome change.
I made this pumpkin tart a few weeks ago.  We loved it.  Everyone.  The only thing I would change next time is to make the crust thinner.  Make two tarts with the dough or halve the dough part of the recipe.  I will write the recipe with the original amount and if you make it, you can decide how much dough you want to make.
Calorie wise you really need to reduce the dough if you want a "leaner" piece.  This particular size slice is about 420 calories.  If I am going to have 420 calories of a dessert, I need something more... chocolaty, if you know what I mean.  Something more gooey. Now, if I reduced the dough and this widdled down to about 300 calories, then, yes, I would eat it again.  It's that good- 300 calorie good.  But then I am a pumpkin fiend.  If you go to Pinterest and find me (button upper right) you will see that I have a whole file dedicated to pumpkin.  It's called Pumpkin Palooza.

Pumpkin Tart
Original recipe found here at Land O Lakes®.

Topping
1/4 cup oatmeal (quick cooking)
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
2 tablespoons butter, softened

Crust
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 (3-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups Gluten-Free Flour Blend

Filling
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/4 cups pumpkin puree
1 egg
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice


Heat oven to 375°F. Prepare a tart pan by greasing it.

Combine all topping ingredients in bowl; mix with fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.

Combine 3/4 cup butter and cream cheese in another bowl; beat at medium speed until well mixed. Add gluten-free flour blend; continue beating until dough forms.

Press dough onto bottom and up sides of tart pan.

Combine all filling ingredients in bowl.  Whisk until smooth. Pour into unbaked tart shell.  Sprinkle with topping. 

Place in preheated oven. Bake 25-35 minutes or until golden brown and set. Cool 5 minutes in pans; run small sharp knife around inside edge of cups to loosen tarts. Place on cooling rack. 


No comments: