Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Coconut Cream Pie

 

BEST. PIE. EVER.

Very creamy, very tasty, very good, every minute of it. So coconutty! Is that a word?  If it isn't it should be. I wish I had a better picture of it to convey how amazing it was.  Trust me it was delicious.

The original recipe came from Allrecipes and then was modified at Bunny's Warm Oven.  She had the genious idea to use conut milk and half and half combined instead of pure half and half.  Talk about coconutty!


Coconut Cream Pie

One nine inch pie crust baked and ready
1 (13.5 fl oz) can Coconut milk
Half and half - enough to make 3 cups combined with the coconut milk
4 egg yolks, beaten slightly
3/4 cup white sugar
1/3 cup corn starch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups shredded sweetened coconut

Pour coconut milk into measuring cup.  Pour half and half into that same cup until you have reached the 3 cup mark. Pour the mixture into a heavy saucepan and mix in the eggs, sugar, cornstarch and salt.  Whisk to combine.  Turn on heat at about the mid level mark. Whisk away until your arms falls off.  It will begin to thicken.  Keep whisking.  When you see it thicken, keep on stirring for one minute more.  You know it is thickening when it leaves a film on the back of a wooden spoon.  You run your finger through it and the finger mark stays.

Pour mixture into previously baked crust.

I am drooling just thinking of this pie.

I scraped mine off the crust so I can't tell you about the crust.  I will say that everyone said it really went with the texture and taste of the filling.  Funny thing is, I even put some coconut vodka in the crust. I just happen to have a little bottle of it, I thought now isn't this fitting.

My mother tells me that her mother, my grandmother use to put vodka in a lot of baked goods.  I do like it in my pie crust and when I make ice cream.  Just a tablespoon.


1 comment:

Colette (Coco) said...

I believe that I will NEED to make your pie very soon.