Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Cake Lollies

 
What do you do with a dry cake? (The above cake is the red velvet one before the transformation). I now know precisely what to do with a dry cake.  Mash it into little bits and mix it with some frosting.  Roll it into balls and then dip them into white chocolate.  Decorate too of course.  Voila.  Cake on a stick.  Sure to make even the big kid in you smile.

Of course you probably already know about Bakerella.  But if you don't run, don't walk to her site.  I mean click now and go check out her site.  She makes the best cake lollies!

Now, about that cake.  Yes, it was dry but was I to blame.  I am not sure.  You see I omitted the salt in the cake by accident.  I don't think that would make the cake dry.  If someone out there has some technological reason why omitting the salt would make the cake dry, I would seriously like to know.  Who knows maybe I omitted something else.  After making a pretty good recipe for red velvet previously I don't think I would make this recipe again.  So if you do try this one and it comes out perfect- let me know.  And if you make it and it comes out dry you certainly know what to do with it, eh?

Red Velvet Cake
Click here for the recipe.

Butter for greasing pans
2 cups all-purpose flour plus extra for dusting pans
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 ounces red food coloring
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon white vinegar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. Combine flour, cocoa and salt thoroughly. Beat the sugar with the shortening with an electric mixer until blended. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Beat another minute at medium speed. Beat a quarter of the flour mixture and then a third of the buttermilk into the sugar mixture. Add in alternately, ending with the flour.  Do not overbeat. Add the vanilla and food coloring and mix well to color evenly. Dissolve the baking soda in the vinegar and quickly fold it in. Pour half the batter into each prepared cake pan and bake until the cake top springs back when gently pressed, 20 to 25 minutes. Turn out layers onto wire racks and let cool.

Cake Lolly Assembly

Step One: Thoroughly combine cake with frosting in a large bowl.  Don't be afraid to get your hands in there, it will work much better.

Step Two: Roll mixture into balls.  If it wont for balls well then add more frosting.

Step Three:  Place balls on cookie tray and place in freezer for 10 minutes.

Step Four:  Melt a small amount of white chocolate in the microwave. Dip the tip of the lolly pop stick into the chocolate and stick into the ball.  Return to freezer once all cake lollies have been formed.

Step Five:  Melt a large amount of white chocolate in adouble boiler or bain marie.  If you dont have one simply use a metal or pyrex bowl over a saucepan half full with water.

Step Six:  Take cake lollies out of freezer in small batches and dip into chocolate, making sure you coat the whole ball.  Gently swing the cake lolly in the bowl to remove excess chocolate. Decorate immediately before chocolate sets. Place in a styrofoam square to set.  Once set return to freezer.  This will make wrapping them easier. 

If you want to see more information about the specific how to's visit Bakerella.

12 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a clever recovery :-). They look great and I'm sure they were delicious. Smile...and have a great day. Mary

vanillasugarblog said...

how does a cake come out dry? i'm trying to think if i ever did that? i've baked so many...but anyway..i think you made a better idea with these. i like these way better. i don't know if i have the patience for this...do i?

Taste of Beirut said...

Lori
It is funny that you mention bakerella I was just on her site yesterday; the woman is amazing; hey, love your red velvet, it was m kids favorite cake and I never made it, must be a bad mother somewhere! Great deco too!

grace said...

atta girl, lori! i guess there's nothing a little frosting and chocolate can't fix. :)

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

Can't be the salt, I think. And Lori, it's a brilliant idea to recycle the cake. In fact, they look younger and prettier after the mackeover! ;)

LittleRed said...

I've seen these before and been waiting for an excuse to make some......One of these days:) Also wanted to let you know that I've picked your blog for a Sunshine Award as a blog that inspires me. If you'd like to accept this award, you can grab the image from my blog post and select 7 blogs which inspire you:)

Lynn said...

Such cute little cake lollies :) I have no idea why your cake might have turned out dry; I don't usually have much luck with cakes myself. Aaah, the mysteries of baking.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Murasaki Shikibu said...

What to do with dry cake. Store bought cakes in Malaga are almost always dry...which is why I stopped buying them, but if anyone gives me a store bought cake, I'll know what to do with it! ;)

Mimi said...

Great save for your dry cake.
Mimi

Donna-FFW said...

I think ou made absolutely perfect use out of it. The pops look GORGEOUS!!! I wish I were that talented.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I never think of that until it's too late and I've tossed most of the cake. Dry or not it looked lovely!

Happy Mother's Day Lori! Hope it's a fabulous one!
~ingrid