Thursday, May 20, 2010

Pineapple Vinagre


There are a couple chefs that I enjoy watching whenever I get the chance.  One of them is Daisy Martinez.  Her show airs on PBS (Public Broadcasting System).  I just happen to LOVE PBS.  I also love Daisy.  I love how peppy she is.  She's cute and funny.  I always enjoy listening to her stories as she prepares amazingly delicious looking food.  I have made her recipes and they turn out great.  I absolutely love her Moros y Christianos.  Must make that soon.

One of the things I seen her do recently is make pineapple vinagre.  I had never heard of it.  After doing some research I found her recipe and really liked that one the best.

Next time you have a pineapple- don't through the skins away- make pineapple vinagre.

Pineapple Vinagre
Adapted from Daisy's recipe here. Use on bean dishes, in chilies, on fish or poultry.  It has great flavor with some definite pineapple undertones.

2 ripe pineapples
1/2 large Spanish onion, sliced thin
1 tablespoon smashed fresh oregano leaves
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
20 garlic cloves, crushed
2 Habanero peppers or chili pepper of your choice, stems cut off, peppers coarsely chopped (I originally started with ten but after my lips caught fire I decided to take out a few.)
1 tablespoon cider vinegar, or as needed
1/2 teaspoon salt, or as needed

Cut sides off pineapple and place in a stock pot.  Place core in stock pot as well.  Discard the top and bottom of the pineapple.  Fill pot with enough water to cover pineapple. Heat to a boil, turn down heat and let simmer for 30 minutes.

While pineapple skins are cooking prepare a quart sized jar with onions sliced, peppercorns, garlic cloves (smash them a little so they exude their loveliness), habaneros sliced, oregano, vinegar and salt.

Strain pineapple and pour into other ingredients.  Let sit in a dark spot, swirling every so often, for about three weeks.  Refrigerate after this time. If you don't feel comfortable leaving it out of the fridge go ahead and place it in the refrigerator.

Notes:  After the first couple days, flavors will begin to meld.  If you taste it right after you mix it you will be punched in the face by the habanero.  Don't get mad at that poor habanero- he's just doing what he does best.

12 comments:

Lyndas recipe box said...

I love PBS too and enjoy watching Daisy. She cooks yummy looking food and has a cute personality too.
Your pineapple vinagre sounds awsome-I missed that show, I guess.

kat said...

10 habaneros! Wow I can see why you took some out.

shaz said...

Ooh wow, that sure was a lot of habaneros to start with. I admire your courage :) Never heard of vinagre either, sounds tasty - is it used as a dressing? Or sauce? Off to google I go...

The Blonde Duck said...

I love all the cool stuff you come up with.

Fresh Local and Best said...

This is a great recipe to use up those pineapple skins and cores that would otherwise get tossed. Great recipe!

grace said...

how sad to think of all the pineapple rinds that i've wasted that could've been used for this. sad. and wowza--bring on the habaneros! :)

Anonymous said...

Terrific use for the leftover pineapple rinds! Great recipe!

Joanne said...

I've never heard of pineapple vinegar before! What a great recipe. Sounds so unique.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I've seen Daisy Martinez's name around lately but haven't seen her program or cookbook. I'm gonna have to make a point of checking her out.
~ingrid

fimere said...

c'est une recette que je ne connais pas mais ça doit être excellent bravo
bon week-end

Taste of Beirut said...

wow! I used to boil the pineapple skins and make a juice out of the water, a tip I read in a Pastry chef book I have; but had never heard of this, and it is so interesting; also I admit I have never been that daring to try a habanero, let alone 10 of them !

vanillasugarblog said...

10! girl. seriously. i am putting 5 stars on your foodie chart for courage. LOL