Monday, May 24, 2010

Carrot and Potato Indian Stir Fry

While this dish may seem like an ordinary wallflower of a dish, rest assured she is not.  She is full of life and packs quite a flavor punch!  I have made it three times.  No, I have not been holding out on you.  I have had a hard time getting a decent picture- either is disappears before I can photograph or it disappears before I can photograph it.  Yes- I know I said the same thing twice.  I just want to reiterate that it is that good.  


Carrot and Potato Indian Stir Fry

1 tablespoon
10 carrots
5 medium potatoes
1 medium onion
3 cloves of garlic
7 curry leaves (I can barely say curry leaves without swooning)
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon mustard seeds (preferably the black kind)
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 cup milk
salt to taste

I encourage you to have everything mise en place.  This recipe moves quickly.

Chop garlic, onion (garlic and onion together), carrots.  Set aside.

In a large saute pan heat oil and add cumin and mustard seeds to the oil.  Cook until fragrant- add turmeric, saute a couple of seconds.  Add curry leaves (it will sputter so stand back).  Add onions and garlic and salt.  Cook until the onions are golden.  Add carrots and cayenne. Stir and cover, turning heat to low.  Cook for about a half of an hour.  Add garam masala and milk, mix well.  Cook for about five minutes more.

14 comments:

ann low said...

This sounds flavorful and colorful!

chow and chatter said...

this looks great love the Indian way of cooking veggies

grace said...

so let me get this straight--it disappears before you can photograph it? :)

kat said...

Lori this sounds so good but I'm wondering where the potatoes come into the recipe

Lori said...

Kat the potatoes are on there - I think the second ingredient down.

Taste of Beirut said...

Sounds very flavorful; love those homey vegetable dishes, especially when showcased in all these spices.

vanillasugarblog said...

mmmm yum, wrap this bad boy dish up in some warmed naan bread. love it

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I like potatoes and carrots. I don't think I've had those flavors. Will it cost a small fortune to buy the spices?
~ingrid

Heather B said...

That sounds delicious! I'm fairly new to Indian foods and flavors so I'm always on the look out for some tasty recipes.

Joanne said...

You know a dish is good when it's gone before you can get a picture. That occasionally happens where I go in for a taste test and just can't stop. Looks delicious!

Mimi said...

Quick and flavorful, my kind of recipe.
Mimi

The Blonde Duck said...

I really need to make some curries and stir fries.

precious said...

What a healthy and simple dish! Love the spices that you added! So Indian!
cedar chests

Shelby said...

I know where I am headed this week - to the Indian grocer! I have never found curry leaves although I have had recipes that call for them. I'm sure now that we are in Albany, it will be much easier to find! I MUST make this dish - seems like it would be awesome as a lunch day meal!