Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Arepas

In the summer, the light is good, perfect for taking pictures around supper time.  But I tell you in the summer it is hard for me to come up with new recipes to share with you all.  The reason is that most of the time, its all about freshness.  I like to roast my veggies or just dress them with some olive oil, that you all know how to do.  Like I cant tell you how many times I have eaten sliced radishes and cucumbers with olive oil and vinegar salt and pepper.  Not very exciting on the blog but very exciting to me at dinner time.  Then of course there are my summer favorites, like Crescent Dragonwagon's corn fritters/pancakes.  I adore them, I make them ad nauseum.  I cant help myself, they are so darn good.  And my mock crab cakes made with zucchini, when summer comes that is one of the first things that I am itching to make.

Things like arepas are vehicles to great food.  They are excellent backgrounds for summer freshness.  Mine don't look it here.  Why?  Because these were made at the end of winter and I am slowly but surely using up the remainder of my blog posts in que.  Too much summer fun, I tell yah! I promise you I will be sending things your way more regularly now because I have been re-inspired.

Arepas
video how to and recipe here at Foodwishes.


2 1/2 cups tepid water
1 teaspoon salt
about 2 cups of P.A.N. white corn meal


Mix together and let sit for a few minutes.  Form into patties and fry.


Next time I make these I want to try these cream cheese arepas.

5 comments:

kat said...

They sound like they would be a great base for some barbecued pork

Vanssmomc said...

Lori, these look so good, are you able to find the P.A.N. flour here in the Rochester area?

Lori said...

Vanssmomc- I used Goya when I made these because I could not seem to find it. I did however find the PAN when I was away in Upstate NY. If you find it let me know. If I find it I will let you know. Deal?

grace said...

every time i see these on one cooking show or another, i'm just smitten. how delicious--thanks for the instructions!

Murasaki Shikibu said...

I've been wanting to make these and I think I'll follow your recipe!