Thursday, August 30, 2012

BLT and Zucchini Fries


I have made these before but feel they are worth sharing again... zucchini fries.  They are accompanied by the annual BLT (bacon lettuce and tomato sandwich).  A classic American fare sandwich.  I think I make bacon twice a year.  Seriously.  I can not stand the grease all over but for this BLT with fresh tomato, I get over my 'thang' with bacon grease.  I do, however, use bacon in soups, don't get me wrong.  A few slices.  Not a whopping frying pan of bacon grease spitting and sputtering all over.  

I had to share with you my proud Mama moment.  I, for the first time, grew tomatoes from seeds.  Yup, never did it. My Mother has always pooh poohed me from doing it.  She has said they are too wimpy and spindly and there is so much work in making them stronger.  Shhh (she's... WRONG!).  It was way easy.

You see I tasted a kumato - which is grown in hot houses.  I knew I had to give this one a go.  Tasting as great as it was from a hothouse, I couldn't even imagine what it would taste like coming from the garden, fresh, in the summer!
And here it is, in the front row, looking all purple and delicious! It is our favorite of all the tomatoes this year! The ones in the middle are green zebra tomatoes from the McCracken CSA. The ones in the back are Brandy Wine.
And then there is this tomato from my CSA.  It is called, Pink Cavern.
Bizarre.  Isnt it?  I think it would be great for making my fire roasted salsa.

Zucchini Fries

Cut zucchini into thin fry like pieces.  Place in large bowl.  Take two egg whites and beat a little with two tablespoons of water.  Toss zucchini strips with egg white.

In another bowl combine:

1/2 cup peccorino romano cheese
1 cup bread crumbs
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Dredge 'fries' in bread crumb mixture and place on sprayed or greased cooking sheet.  Bake the 'fries' at 425F for about 15 minutes.  Flip and bake five minutes more. Salt and eat!

My kids liked them dipped in marinara or ranch

1 comment:

cocoa and coconut said...

I absolutely love this idea of zuchhini fries..what a healthy alternative and still delicious too!! You are a genius!