Saturday, August 11, 2012

FRUIT SQUARES


I decided to make some cherry/blueberry slab pie. This recipe is actually called fruit squares.  I made half cherry and the other half is blueberry.  For the blueberry side, I spread some blueberry jam over the dough and then sprinkled on some blueberries... This was my Mom's idea.  I told her it would be too watery but she thought it would be a fine idea.  Yup the dough underneath was a bit soggy.  For the other side I had cooked some cherries that I had from the freezer, along with some cornstarch and sugar.  It was a perfect filling.



This particular recipe is the one my Mother has made over and over again when I was a kid.  She never put glaze on it though.  My Mother does not like frosting of any sort. (I know, are you kidding me - that is the best part). I have made something similar here.  This dough is quite a bit more tender.

This dough is very sticky! So be forewarned.  You will say to yourself when it all comes together, that, it is too wet to be rolled out.  It is.  You roll it between two sheets of wax paper.  It is a pain in the neck to pull the wax paper off, but go slowly and patiently and it will all work out.  If there are any holes, no worries, they are easy to patch.  Don't add more flour though because that will just decrease the tenderness.



Fruit Squares
My Great Aunt was apparently a caterer. This recipe comes from her.  This recipe is one of the things she use to serve.

3/4 cup lard or vegetable shortening
4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

filling of our choice (you can make your won or buy the canned pie filling)

In a large bowl beat shortening/lard with sugar.  Add eggs, milk and vanilla.  In another bowl combine flour, salt and baking powder.  Add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients.  Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator.

After dough chills, roll out half of dough and lay in an ungreased 15-x10-inch baking sheet. Spread pie filling over it.  Roll out remaining half and place over filling or you can make a lattice top by cutting in strips and laying over top of filling, pinching the edges as you go.
Roll out dough between wax paper.  It is very sticky. If you want to make your life a little easier, chill the dough for 20 minutes before pulling the wax paper off.  Place dough on jelly roll pan about 10 x 15. Bake at 350F until golden and pulling away from the sides a little, about 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool. Cut into bars or squares.

No comments: