Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Chili Verde

You know last year at the end of the growing season I was over run by green tomatoes- from my garden and I had a few from my CSA.  With all those green tomatoes I had made some green enchilada sauce.  No tomatillos, just green tomatoes.  I did it, thinking, what the heck am I going to use this for?  How many times do I make enchiladas? But I also felt like, how many green tomatoes can I make or green tomato jelly can I use.  You know what?  I have used that green chili sauce in a casserole, with enchiladas and now with chili.  This and the casserole are my absolute favorites.  I never dreamed I would like green chili as much as I had this.  And yes, there is a scant 1/2 cup there because it disappeared before I had a chance to take any good pics.

It's a MUST MAKE again!

 

Chili Verde


1 green bell pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 large onion
1 tablespoon oil
1 1/2 pounds hamburger
2 cups salsa verde (use my recipe here or use a store bought or make some tomatillo salsa)
1 clove garlic
1 can kidney beans -1/2 cup whole and mash the rest
2 tablespoons taco seasoning
2 tablespoons ketchup
1/2 cup mutha sauce or barbecue sauce of your choice.  Mutha sauce will be posted next on this blog

Saute onions and peppers in oil. until transluscent.  Add ground beef.  Saute until the hamburger browns a little.  Add in garlic, cook one minute more.  Add the salsa, kidney beans (both whole and mashed), ketchup, mutha sauce and taco seasoning.  Cover and cook for about 40 minutes.

Serve with all the chili fixings you desire. We had it with cornbread. Delicious!



1 comment:

Colette (Coco) said...

Isn't spring great?

Love those poppies.

This recipe of yours is on my to-do list for this week.
Thanks, Lori!