Friday, May 17, 2013

Get Your Granola Grabbers


I have a lot of cook books.  I mean like too many.  I have slowly and carefully donated about half of them to the library.  I am still pairing down.

I look at each book very critically and ask myself how much do I turn to this cookbook?  Is it inspirational? Have the recipes I tried in it been successful?  Do other people report good things about the book? Is it in keeping with my lifestyle? In other words, if the book is about mixed drinks = how often do I make a mixed drink?  Is the internet a viable alternative?

If I were to give you my top ten of the books that I kept and have been very helpful more than once, this one would be one of them.  Dorie Greenspans, Baking From My Home To Yours.  A fabulous baking cookbook. I was in Tuesdays with Dorie so I ended up making a lot of the recipes in the book.  Each one has been wonderful.  This one for cookies is no exception.

Granola Grabbers
Adapted from Baking From My Home To Yours, Dorie Greenspan

3 Cups Granola Without Fruit ( I used the recipe on my blog and just omitted the fruit and nuts)
3/4 Moist, Plump Raisins (dark or golden)
1/2 Cup Salted Peanuts
1/2 Cup Sunflower Seeds
1/2 Cup Sweetened Shredded Coconut
1/3 Cup Wheat Germ
1 1/4 Stick (12 Tbsp) Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
1/2 Cup (packed) Light Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Large Egg
1/4 tsp Salt
1 Cup All-Purpose Flour


Position the racks to divide the oven into thirds and preheat the oven to 375˚F. Line two baking sheets with parchment or silicone mats.

Put the granola in a large bowl and break up any clumps with your fingers. Add the raisins, peanuts, almonds, coconut and wheat germ and mix together.

Working with a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter at medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the sugars and beat for another 3 minutes, or until creamy. Add the egg and salt and beat until well blended. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add flour, mixing only until it is incorporated, then steadily add the granola and fruit. Stop the mixer when most of the granola mix is blended into the batter and finish the job with a sturdy rubber spatula, making sure to get up any bits of dry ingredients left in the bottom of the bowl.

Scoop out rounded Tbsp of dough, pack the scoops between your palms and arrange the mounds on the baking sheets, leaving about 1 1/2 inches between them. Flatten the mounds lightly with your fingertips.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, rotating the sheets from top to bottom and front to back at the midway point. The cookies should be golden brown but not firm. Allow them to rest on the sheets for 1 to 2 minutes before transferring them to racks to cool to room temperature.

Repeat with the remaining dough, cooling the baking sheets between batches.

1 comment:

Blond Duck said...

I love this because store bought granola is so expensive and has so much crap. Thanks!