Sunday, May 3, 2015

Mustard Chicken With Blackberry Sauce

 

I was at the Farmers Market last week.  Along with the farmers that sell there, there are many vendors from the local food warehouses that sell their goods as well.  When lots of stuff is fresh and local, I buy from the farmers, of course, but in the colder months I buy from the warehouses as well.  I scored a huge container of black raspberries.  I had seen this recipe in a magazine called Eating Well when I was at a doctor appointment and had copied it down.  I knew I had to make it when I found the blackberries.  Yeah!  You can find that original recipe here.

Seldom does that happen where I find the recipe and the ingredient at the same time.  How many times I have cut out a recipe, gone to the store at some other time, bought what I needed and then could not find the recipe.  Ha!
 Isn't it a beautiful color?  So rich and delicious without being fattening. Score!

Then I knew I had to make this other recipe as well.  I love how it turned out with the layers of flavor both in the chicken as well as the sauce. It was easy too.  Flavor it all up and place in the oven.
And for dessert.  Oh YEAH!

Mustard Chicken

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons of Dijon
1 tablespoon Italian Herb seasoning (or a combination of basil and oregano)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3 large chicken breasts

In a baking pan 9 x 9 mix olive oil, dijon, garlic and Italian seasonings together until combined.  Place breasts in mixture and coat evenly.  Bake at 350F oven for about 20 to 30 minutes or until done.

Blackberry Sauce

1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
6 ounces blackberries

Make this sauce at least a couple hours before you are ready to use it.  Place honey and Dijon in a food processor or blender. Whirl it until it is combined and add in blackberries.  Whirl until the blackberries have been chopped and it is a nice smooth consistency.  Refrigerate until ready to use.  It will keep for a few days and actually get better the next day.

No comments: