Sunday, October 25, 2015

Canning Applesauce

When you are given a bunch of apples.  You have only on thing to do after you say, thank you very much.  Make applesauce! Then you can have it already instead of going to the store and buying one of those watered down versions of apple sauce that they have in the store.

I don't know exactly why I have never posted my applesauce.  I have been making it all my life, as a kid and then as an adult with a family of my own.   Its one of the easiest things to can for a beginner.  There is such a high acid level in apples that it really lends itself to this type of canning.
 Aren't they beautiful?
I kept singing while I was making apples,  "God didn't make little green apples and it don't rain in Indianapolis in the summer time."  Just in case you don't know what I am talking about, have a listen...




APPLESAUCE

1/2 bushel of apples ( a mix of different kids is the best)*
2 cups sugar (optional)
3 tablespoons lemon juice of 1 teaspoon citric acid (kinda optional)**

Canning equipment (the usual cast of characters)
canner
jars
lids
rings
canning jars
Sometimes I leave my rings off once the jars have sealed.
Cut up apples into quarters or halves and place in a large pot.  Start it off on a low heat to get the apples heated without burning it.  Stir regularly.  Once it gets going and there is some juice on the bottom, then you can turn your heat up to medium. Or even medium high if you keep an eye on it.  Cook until tender.  Blend and pour into jars. 

Place lids on jars and screw down tops.  Place in hot water.  The water should be over the jars by an inch.  Bring to boil.  Boil for 20 minutes.  Remove from pot place on counter to cool.  Enjoy the pleasing popping sound the jars make as they seal. Before putting them away make sure lids depress to show they have sealed. I let them cool over night. Check to make sure they have all sealed in the morning by pushing down on the tops. If it pops up then it has not sealed.  Place in your refrigerator and enjoy eating it.

If you see the applesauce has seeped out a little while in the canning process, don't fret, wipe it down good after it has sealed and it is still fine to put on the shelf.

*You can start with how many apples you like.  When it is made into sauce that will give you an idea of how many pints or quarts you get out of it. 

**Citric acid or lemon juice will help keep the apples white.  It slows down that browning process. You don't have to put it in because the apples have enough acid.


I don't really use my pour spout a lot because I prefer to just wipe them down as it is faster.  In the case of applesauce, it plops into jars.  So much easier to use this.

No comments: