Sunday, October 18, 2015

Savory Red Lentil and Rhubarb Soup

I know it does not look like much.  It really is good.  If you are a lover of beans then this is your dish.  The rhubarb really picks things up with its tartness.  It makes the beans come alive.

I know mine doesn't look like soup.  I decided on leaving out the broth because I had none.  My daughter is vegetarian so throwing in some chicken broth was not an option.  I like to make my own vegetable broth- it has lots of flavor.

Besides, the kids used it like taco meat and put on some sour cream and cheese. 
Savory Red Lentil and Rhubarb Soup

1 cup red lentils
1 cup water
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 bay leaf

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic
1 cup chopped rhubarb
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon honey
Kosher salt, to taste
1/2 tsp fresh black pepper
1/4 cup chopped parsley
4 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth, or water

Cook lentils in water with garlic powder and bay leaf until just tender.

In a larger pot sauté onion, celery and carrots until tender.  Add in rhubarb, broth, honey, garlic, salt and pepper and parsley.  (If you don't want soup then skip the broth and just add your lentils to the mix).    Let cook until rhubarb is tender.  Add in tomato paste.  Heat  one minute more.  Serve.


No comments: