Friday, October 9, 2015

Pumpkin Truffles


I could tell you that all went well with these cake pops.

But that, my friends, would be lying.  Because in fact, it went terribly wrong.

Every once in a while its good to eat a piece of humble pie.  Right? Today, was my day.  It was an EPIC fail doing cake pops.  I have never really had great luck with cake pops anyway.  I even took a class on Craftsy and  I still cant get it right.  I can never get the viscosity of the melted chocolate right.  It clumps. It sags.  I blobs. 

My kids never care because it is still delicious. 

This time though I had decided to take it to the Halloween themed retreat.  I wanted it to come out cute because I know these ladies will appreciate it.

I will say.  They are delicious, nonetheless.  I popped one in my mouth and hallelujah, at least they taste good- if nothing else.

If you want to make these.  I am quite sure you will do a better job than I because really, how much worse can they be?  Cracks and blobs galore. But I digress.  Make the pumpkin bread.  Using one of the loaves, turn on a beater and mix it with cream cheese that has been brought to room temperature. Blend until there is no white showing.  Grab some with a scoop or with your fingers and ball it up.  Roll it into a nice smooth ball.  Freeze the balls.  Melt your dipping chocolate and dip them in. Decorate with pretzel sticks and piping.

Pumpkin Bread
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens

2 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup cooking oil
4 eggs
3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
2/3 cup water
1 15 ounce can pumpkin

Directions
Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of two 9x5x3-inch, three 8x4x2-inch, or four 7-1/2x3 1/2-x2-inch loaf pans; set aside. In a very large mixing bowl beat sugar and oil with an electric mixer on medium speed. Add eggs and beat well; set aside.
In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add flour mixture and water alternately to sugar mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Beat in pumpkin. Spoon batter into prepared pans.
Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 55 to 65 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely on wire racks. Wrap and store overnight before slicing. Makes 2 loaves (32 servings).

Nutrition Facts (Pumpkin Bread) Per serving:
191 kcal cal., 8 g fat (1 g sat. fat, 27 mg chol., 197 mg sodium, 29 g carb., 1 g fiber, 18 g sugar, 2 g protein

No comments: