Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Perfect Pastry Crust



This really is the BEST crust I have ever made.  I used a fork for my pastry blender since I could not find mine. I have made a lot of pie dough in my time but none of them ever suited me the way this one does.

When I made this apple pie, I put 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon in it and 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg- I wanted to up the flavor a little.



Perfect Pastry Crust

3 cups flour
1/4 cup lard
3/4 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 yolk
7 tablespoons ice water
1 tablespoon vinegar


Mix flour and salt together.  Cut lard and butter up into small cubes and place in the freezer.  Once it has become somewhat frozen, put in flour/salt mixture.  With a fork or a pastry blender work it into the dough.  Keep blending it until your flour looks like coarse meal.  Mix in yolk, vinegar and water.  You may need a little more water if it is dry out.  If it is humid, not so much. Chill for at least an hour before rolling it out.


No comments: