I made the usual sizzle cornbread recipe from Crescent Dragonwagon's book - The Corn bread Gospels. Immediately after taking it out of the oven I slathered some honey mixed with butter over top.
Seriously. Not a speck left. It's just that good.
Sizzlin' Honey Topped Corn Bread
aka DAIRY HOLLOW HOUSE SKILLET SIZZLED CORNBREAD but with a little adjustment.
The Cornbread Gospels, by Crescent Dragonwagon; Workman Publishing, NY
1 cup unbleached flour
1 cup stone ground corn meal
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup mild vegetable oil
2 tablespoons butter or mild vegetable oil
Stir together 1/4 cup honey and a 1/4 cup butter room temp.
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a 10 inch cast iron skillet with oil and set aside.
2. Sift together the flour, cornmeal and baking powder and salt into a medium bowl.
3. In a smaller bowl, stir the baking soda into the buttermilk. Whisk in the sugar, egg, and the 1/4 cup of oil.
4. Put the prepared skillet over medium heat, add the butter, and heat until the butter melts and is just starting to sizzle. Tilt the pan to coat the sides and the bottom.
5. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and combine them quickly, using as few strokes as possible. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake the cornbread until it is golden, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and gently slather the honey butter mixture over top of corn bread. Let cool for a few moments and slice into wedges and serve.