Thursday, May 8, 2014

Layered Jello Dessert With Sour Cream


With summer fast approaching I wanted to share this delicious recipe that is very refreshing.  While I made it, I thought I would like to try it again with fruit juice and gelatin for a more natural approach.  I will put that on the docket.

I also wanted to share a story from a few years back. Oh, so scary, and in looking back afterwards, had other scary points that I had not realized.  Many summers ago, when my daughter was about 4 1/2 we were visiting my brother in Tennessee.  We were at his in-laws, hanging out by the Tennessee River.  We were all standing at the dock when my Dad, who is a great swimmer, and daughter decided to go into the river.  We watched my daughter go in and about five minutes later, after entering the water, my daughter began to panic.  Mainly because she could not feel the bottom- she did not expect that.  She started to climb on my Dad. A classic for a person who is drowning.  Yes, I said my father was a great swimmer but he was older- at the time he was about 78 years old.  He was trying to get her to settle down for a few but then he was looking up at us.  Things started to seem strange.  Time slowed, there was about five of us on deck watching this scene unfold.  No one moved.  I guess we all had it in our heads that my Dad would correct the situation. But the scene was not changing.

I just want to stop right here and add in that I actually had taken life guarding classes in high school. I am not a freeze in the face of emergencies type person.  I am a reactor who jumps in and does whatever, ie, saving choking children.

Fortunately, for my Dad and quite possibly my daughter, my brother took off his socks, shoes and shirt and jumped in.  He had the foresight to know that things did not look right and needed some intervention.

Incidentally, my Dad who has a hard time asking for help was very grateful and very shaken up at that time.  Honestly, it brings tears to my eyes to think how horrific it was watching my little girl nearly drown my Dad.

I found this article today called Drowning Doesnt Look Like Drowning on a site called gCaptain.  I highly recommend that you read it.  Please take a moment now and do that.  It may save someones life this summer.

Now, back to some deliciousness after that scary scene I painted for you.
Layered Jello Dessert

4 to 6 (3 ounce) packages of Jello - different colors
1- 16 ounce container of sour cream

I have a dish that is slightly smaller than a 9 x 13.  I use that when I make this.  If you only have a 9 x 13- that totally will work but you might want to use 6 instead of four packages of Jello- just to get the dessert a little bit higher in the dish.

Boil water.  Mix one package of Jello with 1 cup of water.  Stir to dissolve.  Pour 1/2 of a cup into another bowl and stir in 1/3 cup of sour cream.  Pour the sour cream one into the dish and place in the refrigerator.  Note: I started with the clear Jello but like the clear Jello to be on top.  Eh, up to you.

Once that sets, which will be pretty quick, spoon the clear one over top of that and refrigerate again.  If you pour it on it will create a hole wherever you are pouring.  I highly recommend you spoon it.

Keep going, repeating this process until you have done all the layers you want.  Yes, it is a slightly exhaustive process but you don't have to bake and that is a bonus in the summer.  Really, it is a great dessert to do while you are cleaning.  Stop do a layer, clean. Stop do a layer, clean.  Before you know it- its done.

No comments: