Friday, May 2, 2014

Pineapple Preserves


I am making pineapple preserves again today.  I have made them before and you can see that post here.  I wanted to let you know a few things should you decide to make this slammin' jam.  One if it doesn't set (as mine previously did not), dont worry, you can still make all kinds of things with it.  Check out my black bean salad. Or you can try Asian Style Noodles with Pineapple Dressing.


Two, if you do not have a scale- a pound is about 2 cups heaping of chopped pineapple.  Though I do recommend a scale in the kitchen.  It is very useful.


Three, you want this to simmer about 20 minutes.  I added the juice of half of a lemon as well.  It still never really thickened.  I added 1/3 of a Dutch Jell (I get that at the Mennonite store but you could use Ball pectin- I am hoping for a better set this time.  But like I said if it doesnt happen I am okay with that as I really love those dressing mentioned above.

Finally, this recipe will make 11 pints.  Since I have to have tastes periodically and I usually spill a little, I end up with 1101 1/2.  The 1/2 goes into my fridge and disappears fairly frequently. 



Pineapple Preserves
Makes about 11 pints.

4 pounds pineapple, skinned, cored, and chopped
6 cups sugar
juice of 1/2 of a lemon
1/3 of a cup of Dutch Jell (or the pectin of your choice)

Combine the sugar and pineapple in a large stock pot. Cook, stirring frequently, until it thickens. This will take quite some time. See below for how to test it. Once completed pour into sterilized jars, seal and cold pack for about fifteen minutes.

You can use canned pineapple for this recipe as well. Use the juice as well.

No comments: