Monday, May 26, 2014

Orange Creamsicle Macarons




When I was a kid I used to love to get creamsicles at the penny shop near our house.  I think I may have paid a quarter for them at the time.  They were so good- so orangey- so creamy- so delicious.  The Popsicles I buy these days are not the same.  Not quite the same creaminess as they once were.  Did you ever wonder if things really did change or you yourself had changed and your taste buds grew up?  My Dad, who loves them, will concur on this one.  They are  not the same.

These says since I usually would rather be in my sewing room sewing I tend not to make these as much as I once did. Macarons are fussy.  Very fussy.  If its too humid don't even bother to try and make these. I made one batch yesterday with my tried and true recipe and had a complete bomb.  Don't know exactly what happened.  I decided to try another recipe.  I found one and altered it just a bit.  A much better outcome.  I think this will be my new go to macaron recipe.


CREAMSICLE MACARONS

85 grams almond flour or finely ground almonds
150 grams powdered sugar
90 grams egg whites (from about 3 large eggs), room temperature
55 grams granulated sugar
pinch of cream of tartar

In a food processor, combine almond flour and powdered sugar; pulse for 20 to 30 seconds until evenly distributed. Sift at least once through a mesh sieve, discarding any larger particles.

Place egg whites in a clean metal mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on medium speed until frothy, then slowly add superfine sugar, a little bit at a time with the mixer on medium speed, scraping down the side of the bowl periodically. When all the sugar has been added, increase speed to medium high and whip until meringue is firm and glossy and forms medium-stiff peaks.

Pour half of the almond flour mixture into the meringue and stir, folding and scraping a few times until no dry flour remains. Add the remaining flour and mix, folding about 15 to 20 times or just until the meringue and flour are incorporated and the batter falls off the spatula in thick ribbons. Lava like. Do not over mix.

Transfer the batter to a large piping bag fitted with a 1/2-inch round tip, twisting the end of the bag to prevent the batter from leaking. Pipe small circles onto a parchment or silicone-mat-lined baking sheet, leaving about 1-inch of space between them.

Preheat oven to 330F.  This I totally played with.  Some recipes say 300F and some say 350F and some even say 375F.  I had the best outcome with 330F.  It really depends on whether or not your oven runs hot.  Best to have a thermometer in your oven.

Creamsicle Buttercream

1 tablespoon orange zest
1 stick butter
1+ cup confectioners to start
1 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tablespoons half and half
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Beat all together until creamy and the consistency you want.  Add confectioners sugar to make it thicker.  More cream to be less thick.

No comments: