Thursday, January 19, 2017

Pressure Cooker Black Beans with Chorizo


True confession.  I may have already told you this.  I bought a pressure cooker like, over a year ago.  Its been sitting in the basement on my kitchen stuff shelf this whole time.  Lonely.  Why?  Beacuase I was afraid to use it.  Alas, I put my big girl panties on and jumped in.  Thanks to a some coaxing by my friend Sandy.  Thank you Sandy.

I love it now.  I keep using the pressure cooker.  Experimenting and trying new things.  Yeah!  Fun.  It is really handy.  SO much easier to use than the days of long ago.  WAY safer.  Jump in.  Put your big girl panties on!  You can do it.

You can take the Craftsy course about Pressure Cooking too if you want to know all about it and feel better.  I am not paid and reimbursed by Craftsy to say that, by the way.

These are VERY tasty beans!

Black Beans With Chorizo
I like Serious Eats.  I use a lot of their recipes.  Here is where I saw this one. I made a few changes.


1 tablespoon vegetable oil
6 ounces Spanish-style chorizo, split in half lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch half moons
1 pound dried black beans
1 whole onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, sliced
1 orange, split in half
2 bay leaves
2 quarts store-bought low-sodium chicken stock or homemade
2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
Chopped fresh cilantro, for serving

Saute chorizo in oil in pressure cooker (there is a setting for browning) and cook, stirring, until it is crisp, about 2 minutes. 

Add beans, onion, garlic cloves, orange, bay leaves, chicken stock, and 2 teaspoons salt. Cover and cook at high pressure for 40 minutes.

For creamy beans let pressure release naturally.  Garnish with cilantro. Yum!

No comments: