Monday, August 19, 2013

Beet Greens and Freezing Greens for the Winter


This past weekend I bought some beautiful beets at the market.  I have to ask farmers now if they are GMO or not. I hate that.  Anyway, the person before me did not want their greens.  Bummer for them.  I dont know if they realized that you can eat beet greens.  Full of iron and nutrients, just like any other green out there.  It was fortunate for me.  I do use it in my borscht but you can put it in other soups and casseroles as well. 

I brought it all home and put it up for winter.  You know, when all the vegetables in the supermarket look worn and tired.   I can pull out the greens I froze- kale, collard and beet greens.  It will pack a summer nutrient punch smack into the heart of our winter eating.  I am sure I will appreciate it so much.

Freezing greens is easy peasy.  All you do is wash them (I wash them twice because they can be somewhat sandy), trim them up and through them in boiling water for two minutes.  Drain, put in an ice bath.  Cram them into some container- I used Ball plastic freezing jars this time.  And freeze them. Done!
Yes, you can use these stalks- unlike kale and collard greens that have woody stalks. Will turn your soup a lovely shade of pink- but then so will the green part.


No comments: