Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Tomato Pie

Here's something I have always wanted to make.  Tomato Pie. It was on the list to try.  Shiver me timbers- it was awesome.  You need a cooler day to make it though because it bakes at a high temperature in the oven.  Lots 'o' heat.

You need a pie shell and I had one around because I made peach pie a week or so ago.
She had it for breakfast.  Don't judge me- this is a rare kind of thing.


Yes, my pie shell shrunk a little.
I used my tomatoes from the garden.  To the right is a lone eggplant plant and in the forefront is a lone jalapeño bush.  I have ended up with too many jalapeños in the past so I decided on one bush.  Just enough to make salsa.
Tomato Pie
This recipe is for a nine inch pie plate, use more to fill it up if necessary.

1 baked pie shell crust
2 cups + tomatoes, sliced thinly
1 cup onion, finely minced
1/4 cup basil, sliced thinly
3/4 cup of mayonnaise
2 cups grated cheese, like mozzarella
couple dashes of hot sauce
s and p 

Method


After you bake your pie shell, set it aside. Preheat oven to 450F.
Cut tomatoes and work the seed pods and juice out as much as possible.
Sprinkle the bottom of the pre-cooked pie shell with minced onion. Spread the chopped tomatoes over the onions. Sprinkle the sliced basil over the tomatoes.
In a medium bowl, mix together the grated cheese, mayonnaise, Tabasco, a sprinkling of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Spread the cheese mixture over the tomatoes. Place in oven and bake until browned and bubbly, about 25 to 45 minutes.

2 comments:

Vanssmomc said...

How much mayo did you use? This looks very good, will definitely try!

Lori said...

Sorry about that. I fixed it.