Monday, November 10, 2008

PAPER CHEF NOVEMBER Turkey and Lentil Burger

I participated in Paper Chef before and its a lot of fun. The idea is that you find out what the ingredients are and then you come up with something and post it before the due date. You can check it out here.

The ingredients for this months challenge, were turkey, anahiem peppers, lentils and winter squash. Of course I was all over this one because I have a TON of butternut squash to use!

I know it was probably not the most inventive entry but it was fun nevertheless. The taste was okay. We liked it but we didn't love it. Here's my recipe if you would like to try it or perfect it. I think next time I would have made the roll with butternut squash or something.

Ilva over at Lucullian Delights always cooks up something amazing and this month is no different. Check out all the others too.

TURKEY LENTIL BURGERS
Lori's Lipsmacking Goodness Original

1 cup of cooked urad dal lentils (the black lentils with white insides)
1 lb ground turkey
1 cup cubed and roasted butternut squash
1 garlic clove minced
1 medium onion, minced
1/2 of an anaheim chili, roasted and diced

Combine all ingredients except for squash in a bowl. Add s and p to your taste. When thoroughly combined gently fold in butternut squash pieces, being careful not to mash up. Fry in olive oil and serve on a roll.

I mixed the remainder of the roasted anaheim chili with mayo and spread it on the bun.

4 comments:

NKP said...

What a great idea to do burgers! Very creative.

grace said...

what a fabulous burger. it never would've occurred to me to combine turkey, lentils, and squash, especially in a burger, but you've got a masterpiece here. :)

Anonymous said...

That's an interesting idea! I made lentil-squash patties a few years back, but they needed something (like an egg - or your use of ground turkey!) to make them stick better. Green chile burgers are a specialty of many greasy spoon-style restaurants in New Mexico, for what it's worth...

Unknown said...

I'm making this for breakfast today. I think I'll try to shoot it, but I don't think it will be as pretty as your picture!