Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Kale Stuffed Phyllo Triangles and Baklava


I don't know if you ever worked with Phyllo. It is a delicate creature. Dries quickly and falls apart. If you keep a damp towel over it, it gets too moist. At least for me anyhow. I use my classic cereal bags to keep the dough covered while I work. Seems to work better for me. I don't buy phyllo ahead of time anymore because it seems to dry out too much in the freezer. I only buy it when I am ready to use it.

I decided to use kale as I had it on hand, instead of the traditional spinach. Most of the other traditional ingredients I did put in. Having the ingredients prepared ahead of time makes this super easy.

These were very good. My family loved them and preferred them over the spinach ones, stating they had more flavor this way.

KALE PHYLLO TRIANGLES
Lori's Lipsmacking Goodness Original

4 cups kale, boiled, squeezed and chopped
8 oz feta
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon dried dill
4 onions, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup butter, melted (you will not use it all, unless of course you want to)

Saute onions until golden. Add minced garlic, cook one minute more. Combine feta and kale, oregano, dill, and egg. Add ojions and garlic once they are cool. Mix together. Place one phyllo sheet on the work table. Brush with butter and lightly sprinkle with bread crumbs. Fold sheet in half length wise. Brush with butter again. Place about a 1/2 of a cup of filling on phyllo corner. Fold over into a triangles and continue to fold up to the end.

Place folded trinagle and sprayed cookie sheet. Cover with a damp cloth. Bake triangles in a 375 F oven for about 15 to 20 minutes, until golden.

And, of course, with the leftover phyllo I made... baklava. It was a last minute idea. I didn't really use a recipe per se, just the idea of what it would be.

I put a layer of phyllo, brushed with butter.
Sprinkle crushed (toasted) walnuts over the phyllo.
Sprinkled cinnamon over that.
Drizzled honey over that (about a 1/4 cup)

Repeated this process until the phyllo was gone.

I baked it at 350 F until golden. I wished I had cut it then when it came out. I poured vanilla infused simple syrup over the top while it was hot. I got this idea from a recipe I pulled up while the baklava was in the oven. It would have been better looking if I had followed the recipe. But you know what? It's good anyhow.

5 comments:

Cristine said...

YUM! I'm hungry now!

Maria said...

Looks super tasty!

The Blonde Duck said...

Yum! Those look wonderful!

grace said...

baklava! confession: phyllo scares the bejeebies out of me and i haven't attempted making my own baklava yet, even though it's one of my top 5 favorite desserts. i'm pathetic, i know. :)

BS said...

Interesting - spinach pie is one of my favs and I have been looking for a way to spice it up - good idea!