Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Graham Turkeys turn into Hello Dollies!



Grace from a Southern Grace made these creations called Hello Jollies. Check here to see her funny post. She has lots of funny posts actually. The girl has a great sense of humor. She so inspired me to make these!

I knew when I got home from grocery shopping that I forgot something. It was the graham crackers. I wasn't about to run out to the store, although it would have been a heck of a lot faster, so I made graham crackers. I have been wanting to make them homemade for a while. So here was my opportunity. I got online and I was visiting the people who have been visiting my blog when lo and behold, Maria, from Two Peas and Their Pod had a graham cracker recipe right there. It sounded good. I gathered the ingredients and decided to let my kids do some cut outs. Of course they love that kind of thing. We used a turkey cut out to be festive and made turkey graham crackers.

Then afterward I massacred them. I didn't let the kids see of course. I saved a few for them. They sure didn't mind the end result!

They were crushed into crumbs and then swirled in butter to create this yummy crust. for the Hello Dollies, I mean Jollies.



Graham Crackers
Two Peas and Their Pod

½ cup all purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
¼ cup sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 stick cold butter, cut into small pieces
2 T honey
1 T molasses
¼ cup water, plus a little more if it is too dry

Combine all the dry ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Cut in the butter until the texture is dry and crumbly.

In a small bowl, mix the honey, molasses, and water. Mix with the dry ingredients until blended in the food processor. Pulse the dough until it forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Roll the dough out onto a floured surface to 1/8 of an inch. Place them on an cookie sheet.

Bake for 15 minutes or until they are golden brown and crisp. Store in an air tight container.

*The only thing I would change here is that I would add just a little bit more sugar, a half of a cup instead of a quarter. Other than that I wouldn't change a thing. They were very tastey and easy to handle.

And the bars.....hmmmm.

Hello Jollies
recipe from A Southern Grace

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup of shredded coconut
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine the melted butter and graham cracker crumbs in an 8x8-inch pan. Mix well and pat down to form the crust. Evenly sprinkle the chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and coconut on top of the crust. Drizzle the sweetened condensed milk over the whole mixture.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the top becomes light brown.
Let cool in the pan for at least half an hour, in the fridge if necessary, and cut into reasonably-sized bars.

* I made two mistakes when I made these. First I used aluminum foil to cover the pan and man I could not peel that off. I had to cut in from the foil.

The other mistake I made is that I didnt put the coconut on last. Ooops.

7 comments:

Cristine said...

How funny! I have both of those recipes bookmarked!

I love your turkey graham crackers... too cute! And the hello dollies look SO GOOD!

kat said...

I love how things make there way from blog to blog & then you take two & mix them together

Maria said...

I love the turkeys! Super cute! Glad you made the graham crackers!! We love them!! I love the treat you made with them too, double delicious!

The Blonde Duck said...

Those look sooo yummy...great creative chaos control!

To get a different background, go to thecutestblogontheblock.com and pick which background you want. It's got really easy instructions to follow. Let me know if you need help! It took me about an hour to get it the first time, but I was on a Mac too and I'm used to PCs. E-mail me at mirkoerner@gmail.com if you run into problems!

Bunny said...

I saw the recipe for homemade graham crackers too! I'm gonna make them to, maybe cover those little puppies in chocolate!

grace said...

lori. you've put my bars to shame, and i don't mind it one bit. :)
the shape of your homemade(!) crackers is awesome--where on earth did you find a turkey-shaped cutter? i'm super impressed and glad you enjoyed the (aluminum-foil-less) bars. :)

The Food Librarian said...

Those graham crackers are too cute to eat!! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!