Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Lentil Spinach Burgers

So I had some leftover lentils from the Paper Chef and being the bean burger lover that I am, I figured I had to find another recipe. Lo and behold I found this amazing recipe here at What Did You Eat? I wish I could tell her how amazing these burgers are and thanks for sharing the recipe. Sherry had passed away in July but her blog makes her somewhat immortal. Her words and her recipes live on, as long as her blog stays up and running. I love that. So here's to you Sherry.

The only thing I changed was the type of lentils. I used Urad Dal, the little white lentils with the black skin. I put the full tablespoon of cumin. I love cumin and it goes great with the lentils. The lentils become real nutty when they are fried. I used a little olive oil in the pan for frying and they were great. My friend and I enjoyed them today while we gabbed.

LENTIL SPINACH BURGERS
Sherry's Original post

8-10 ounces spinach, stemmed and sauteed (I used a package of frozen: thawed and squeezed)
1 cup urad dal lentils (white lentils), cooked
1 tablespoon cumin
3 tablespoons bread crumbs
1 egg
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons oil

Directions:

Mix the spinach, lentils, cumin, bread crumbs, together in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. I added about a 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder as well. Mix in the egg. Form the patties by forming a ball in your hand, then carefully pat them into a burger type patty. Refrigerate the mixture for at least 30 minutes.

Heat skillet on medium high heat until the oil gets somewhat hot. Slip each patty into the skillet and press the patty together with a spatula if they break apart. Brown on each side, then carefully remove.

6 comments:

kat said...

Oh yummy! I love a good bean burger & anything with cumin in it it seems

The Blonde Duck said...

Oh yum! I love bean burgers. Never thought of spinach. Do they fall apart?

Lori said...

Thank you.

THey did not fall apart Blonde Duck. The egg helped them to stay together.

grace said...

they're not the most appetizing burgers i've ever seen, but they sound delicious. you're a burger-making fiend! :)

Dr. aWoW said...

Mine fell apart completely... I have a question or two. For the lentils, is it one cup dry or 1 cup soaked? What else might I be doing wrong? My mixture seemed really liquid, some water actually separated from them when they were setting in the fridge.

Lori said...

Dr. aWoW- 1 cup lentils cooked as stated int he list of ingredients. I am guessing that the water was from the spinach. If using fresh, it would need to be wilted, cooked and squeezed. If using frozen, squeezed. The main thing is to make sure the spinach has minimal liquid in it. I had no problem with these falling apart, unlike some of the other veggie burgers I have made. One thing to do to help with falling aprt, is to make sure they brown very nicely before flipping.

Hope that helps.