Sunday, November 16, 2008

GO GRATITUDE with Artichoke Jerusalem and Leek Gratin


Whoa, its been a few days since I posted, sorry. I was on a roll there but then something happened. The sun went away. It wasn't here for our dinner time, no great light for shooting. Also, I have to admit to you that we had the same meal for three nights. YIKES. Boring. But it allowed me some time for crafting. Since money is tight I decided to use up some of the material and garage sale crafting stuff. I found these cute ideas on blogs (I will share pics of that tomorrow). So besides the toys from the store, only a few, my kids will be getting "made with love" toys from yours truly! Whew, it's a labor of love when you are making the same thing over and over again, (friends kids). I really don't mind. Gratitude, gratitude, gratitude. I have hands to sew. Something to sew. On and on it goes, right. We have so much to be thankful for.

So back to real food blogging. Here are some Jerusalem Artichokes. It's my first time trying it. I like to try new fruits and vegetables. Keeps life interesting.

I wish that I had taken a picture of the vegetable but I was too ambitious and cut it all up before I realized that I wanted to take a pic of it. Geez. If you want to see it, click here. Looks like a tuber, tastes like an artichoke heart.

This recipe idea came from here. We ate it like an appetizer on crostini. It dissappeared, kind of like the artichoke/spinach dip at the parties we go to.

JERUSALEM ARTICHOKE and LEEK GRATIN
Lori's Lipsmacking Goodness

2 cups chopped jerusalem artichokes
3 cups leeks, washed and sliced
1 cup sour cream
juice of one lemon
1 garlic clove minced
3/4 cup peccorino romano

Combine in a bowl chopped jerusalem artichokes, leeks, sour cream, minced garlic, 1/2 cup peccorino/romano and juice of one lemon. Place in small casserole dish. I used a 9 inch tart pan. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for about 35 minutes (depending on how small your dice is). Take out of the oven remove foil and sprinkle bread crumbs over top. Sprinkle the remainder of the cheese over top. Place back in oven for about 20 more minutes.

6 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

I can't wait to see the craft pics!

kat said...

oh, I bet that is wonderful. I'm trying to do some crafting for the holidays & some gifts for babies coming the first of the year, seems I always take on too much this time of year.

Vera said...

Beautiful dish, Lori! I think home-made gifts is wonderful idea!

grace said...

this looks like a fabulously creamy dish! i love to try new things too, and jerusalem artichokes have hereby been added to the list. :)

Shawndra said...

Wow! That looks great. I grew some sunchokes (jerusalem artichokes) this year and am very interested in different ways to use them. This is now on the list!

test it comm said...

That gratin looks good!