Sunday, July 28, 2013

Bread and Butter Pickles

This is the summer of the pickle.  I have run out of pickles except for my turmeric pickles.  I made bread and butter ones, I am going to make zucchini ones, I plan to make some dill relish as well and yesterday I made two kinds of pickles.  I made my usual refrigerator ones and I made these zucchini ones that I put in the left over juice from the bread and butter ones I made a couple days ago.
So, why am I showing you this funny pic of my gloved hand?  I can't stand that feeling you get after touching zucchini.  You know the feeling... when it feels as if the moisture has been pulled right out of your skin. I do this with butternut squash as well.  The riper it is the more I have to do this.  Stuff from the grocery store, mid winter will not do this to me.

My mother suggested some years ago that it was natural alum in the vegetable.  I have not found any proof of that yet.  But I wouldn't be surprised either if she was right.  It certainly feels like alum.  For those of you who do not know what alum is, click here to read about it.

In searches I have found that I am not alone in this reaction to squashes- especially butternut and zucchini.  There is a thread on Chow and an interesting post from this person but know has said what the chemical/compound is?????  And for people like me this only spurs me on to look into it further.  Maybe Cornell Cooperative Extension will know.  Yes, I am quite silly like this.  Toddler ish I am .... why? why? why?  But I guess that is how we all learn.  So while you will not find me exploring the pages of People magazine wanting know what's up with the stars.  You will find me researching butternut squash. Ha!


 



Bread and Butter Pickles

adapted from this recipe

16 cups cucumbers
6 cups onions, sliced
1/4 cup canning salt
4 cups vinegar
4 cups boiling water
2 teaspoon mustard seeds
2 teaspoon celery seeds
1 teaspoon turmeric
3 cups sugar

Mix together cucumbers, onions and salt.  Let sit two hours.

While the cucumbers are in the salt mix the seasonings, vinegar, water and sugar.  Bring it to a boil about when the cucumbers are done soaking in the salt.  Rinse the excess salt from the pickles.  Add the pickle onion mixture to the brine (vinegar, water, sugar and seasonings).  Cook five minutes.  Add to jars and seal.

Meanwhile, you should also get water boiling in the canner.

Place jars into boiling water in the canneror at least hot.  Process for ten minutes.

What does process mean?  It means boil the jars with their contents in them and sealed.  Processing does not officially begin until it boils.  So when it says
ten minutes in the canner, it means ten minutes from when it starts boiling.  

Once out of the hot water bath, place on towel and you will begin to hear them popping.  This sounds lets you know they are sealed correctly. The lid will be depressed.  Sometimes this can take  awhile so don't fret it.





1 comment:

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

I've only made refrigerator pickles but never tried canning. Thanks for the great post! I've bookmarked it in case I ever get a canner.