Friday, July 5, 2013

Apple Ginger Scones




I had a can of apple pie filling.  Why?  I don't know.  I don't usually buy that kind of thing.  Convenience and the desire for everything to be just a little easier in the kitchen is what propels me I guess.

So I decided to make these little morsels of wonderfulness with that can of apple pie filling. My husband who doesn't eat sweets apparently ate about 1/2 of them in two days.  I think we could say these are a make again kind of dessert/breakfast item.


Apple Ginger Scones
Original recipe here.

2 cups flour
2 cups rolled oats
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup butter (cold and cut into pieces)
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1   21-ounce can Apple Pie Filling
⅓  cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
1 cup milk
1 egg

Preheat oven to 400°F.

Grease a scone pan.  Or if you dont have one,  a regular baking sheet with parchment or foil on top will work.

In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, oats and brown sugar. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add apple pie filling, ginger, milk, and pecans; mix well until a soft dough forms.

Divide dough in half and spread on prepared baking sheet into 8 inch rounds. Use a long knife to cut each round into 8 wedges; do not separate pieces. I found the dough to be too wet to do this.  Besides I have that scone pan but the recipe made way more that what my pan held.  I scooped the rest of the batter into muffin tins. 

Bake 23 to 25 minutes or until golden. Cut again and serve.

No comments: