Saturday, December 21, 2013

Chocolate Pistachio Thumbprints



Today I really wanted to make cookies.  But I wanted to make scones just a little bit more.  Packaged up a few scones with a jar of peach amaretto jam, and sent it off with my daughter's friends parents.  Hope they like scones.  I will be passing the recipe onto you soon.  A great scone.  I did a little experimentation and came up with a scone recipe of my own.  One more time to test and I will pass that one along to you as well.

Then I sat myself down at my sewing machine and worked on some last minute gifts.  It has been very relaxing even though it is last minute. So the cookies never became a reality.  One less cookie around here is probably a good thing.


These cookies from the cookie exchange are real beauties aren't they?  A nice addition to your cookie tray.  They are decorative and delicious. 

Chocolate Pistachio Thumbprints
Printable can be found here.

1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 teaspoon almond extract
3 1/2 oz. package of pistachio pudding and pie filling mix
1 egg
2 cups flour
1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips
3/4 cup to 1 1/4 cups finely chopped pistachios

filling:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons butter, room temp
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 to 3 tablespoons milk

glaze:
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 teaspoons shortening

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a couple cookie sheets.  I like to use a lot of cookie sheets and then have them already to go.  I never put cookies on a warmed pan.  They will spread quite  a bit if you do that.

In a large bowl cream butter and sugar together.  Add in extract, pudding mix and egg.  Add flour and 1/2 cups chocolate chips, until well blended. Shape into 1 inch balls, roll in nuts.  Place two inches apart on a baking sheet.  With thumb make an indentation in center of cookie.  Bake for 10 to 14 minutes, until edges are lightly brown. Cool one minute before removing from cookie sheet.  Cool.

In small bowl combine the filling ingredients and stir until smooth.  Spoon a scant teaspoon into indentation.  Melt 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and shortening in the microwave.  Drizzle onto cookies.  Makes 3 to 4 dozen.

1 comment:

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

Wow! Those look dangerous. I don't think I could have them around my house.

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!