Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Hushpuppies



I love that my husband is willing to try so many things.  He has never had hush puppies before so I was pretty excited for him and the kids to try these.  I dont do much deep frying around here.  Honestly, maybe one to three times per year.  These looked so good- had to make them. 

I seen these on Serious Eats and adapted them to what I had and how much I wanted to make.  To see the original recipe, click here.

My husband asked where hush puppies came from.  I told him it is a Southern thing but really didn't know more about it.  I Googled it.  One site says the Confederate soldiers would feed it to the dogs to quite them.  Another source, Wikipedia said they have Native American roots.  I am guessing both.

Hush Puppies

2 cups cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoon granulated sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
a good shake of granulated garlic powder (eh, a teaspoon)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt 
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 dried minced onion
1 1/2 cup buttermilk ( mine is very thick)*
2 tablespoon (1/2 ounce) unsalted butter, melted
2 teaspoon hot sauce
1/4 cup chopped scallions 
Oil for frying




Mix the dry ingredients: flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, garlic powder, salt, cayenne and dried onion.  Whisk it all together.  Better to combine it all now, rather than when the wet is mixed in.

Mix the wet ingredients: the buttermilk, melted butter, hot sauce.

Combine the wet and dry and add in the chopped scallion.  Stir until just combined. If it feels to dry add more buttermilk.
This is what it should look like when it is ready to go.
With damp hands grab a chunk and start making balls.  Gently place in 350F heated oil.  Fry until golden and turn over to other side.  It will puff so don't crowd it in the pan.  Leave some room for the heat to get up and around.

*Please note:  My buttermilk is very thick, I always have to use more than a recipe calls for. If your buttermilk is thin I would start with a cup and 1/4 of buttermilk before adding more.

No comments: