Saturday, April 26, 2014

Gluten Free Pizza




No sense feeling left out when the rest of the family is enjoying pizza, make your own gluten free pizza.  Woot woot.

When I was away in Lancaster last month I ate at a pizza shop called, A Slice Of Brooklyn Pizzeria. I ordered the gluten free pizza and it was fantastic!  I figured if they could do it so could I sense Lancaster is a bit far to go for pizza.

This is a very good dough but it has to be done in a certain way- if you are making pizza for the gang - you need to be the last one served.  There is no getting around that if you want a warm slice of pizza.  Or you can be like me and just eat it a bit on the cold side.  You see a regular pizza takes about ten minutes in a hot oven.  This takes about 20 minutes.  It's a timing thing. So I had prebaked my shell and then made my families pizza.  Stuck mine in the oven to basically melt the cheese.

Hmm.  I just thought, maybe if I use my toaster oven while my family's pizza was in the oven.  Something to try for next time.
Look at those little pockets of air in there. 
Gluten Free Pizza
Largely adapted from Fool Proof Pizza at Allergy Free Alaska

1 cup sorghum flour
1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 egg (room temperature)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar 

1 tablespoon honey
3/4 cup hot water (between 105 – 115 degrees F)
2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast  


In a measuring cup mix the honey with the warm water and sprinkle yeast over top.  Set aside.

In a large bowl or mixer combine all the dry ingredients- the flours, the salt, the baking powder and tapioca starch.  When the yeast mixture is foamy add it to the flours with the oil cider vinegar and egg.  Let the mixer run for four minutes.  If you are mixing in a bowl- mix with a whisk until your hands fall off.  Well, okay maybe not that long but you need to whisk to incorporate air- this is going to help your pizza have some lift.  So you need to whisk for at least five minutes. If you are a pro at it shoot for 7 minutes.

On a baking sheet, spread out a piece of parchment.  Smooth dough onto two different sheets of parchment paper.  Let rise for about 40 minutes.  Bake the pizza at 425F for about 10 minutes.

No comments: