Thursday, April 10, 2014

Creamy Parsnip Soup



If you asked me if I like parsnips last summer I would have said, nu uh.  A few years ago I bought some and they were so fragrant, almost imparting perfume after they were cooked.  Bleck.  Totally turned me off.  I was not interested in ever eating them again.

I always tell people if you try a vegetable and you don't like it, don't give up on it.  Try it again. Often it is how it is cooked or whether it is fresh or not.  These things can totally affect its taste.

I had to follow my own advice.

While on vacation to a quilt show in Lancaster, PA, I was very tempted to order a soup for lunch called Cream of Parsnip soup. Another entre won out.  My friend, however, ordered it and shared a bit of the soup with me. OMG.  Luscious, delicious, creamy velvety soup.  At that moment I thought I have to make a soup like this.  I did a search on the Internet for the soup and used a couple recipes kind of as a jumping off point.

Creamy Parsnip Soup


1 pound parsnips, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper
1 quart chicken stock*
crispy, crumbled bacon

In a soup pot sauté the parsnips, celery and onion in butter.  Sauté until lightly golden.  Add in garlic, cook one minute more.  Add is stock and bay leaves.  Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.  Just before serving add in the heavy cream.  Remove from heat and serve.

Garnish with bacon if you like.  Oh yeah, I like!

* I also used a cup of asparagus water that I had boiled some asparagus in.  You could definitely use vegetable stock for this recipe.  The flavor of parsnips is pretty strong so it will shine.

No comments: