Monday, August 9, 2010

Apricot and Zucchini Muffins

I can add these to my zucchini collection.  This is a VERY good recipe that is very delicious.  A definite make again when I have marmalade.  That is what the original recipe calls for but I had a teensy bit of apricot jam to use up.  I think I should have put bits of dried apricots instead of raisins but I thought of that too late... next time.


Zucchini and Apricot Jam Muffins
adapted from this recipe at William Sonoma

1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4  cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 eggs
1/3 cup canola oil
1/4 cup apricot jam
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 zucchini, shredded and squeezed in a colander to equal 1 1/2 cups.
3/4 cup dark raisins or dried sweet cherries


Directions:
Preheat an oven to 400°F. Grease 10 standard muffin cups with butter or butter-flavored nonstick cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients: the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.

In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, jam, vanilla and zucchini until blended. Add the flour mixture and beat just until evenly moistened and smooth. Stir in the raisins. The batter will be fairly thick.

Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling each no more than three-fourths full. Bake until the muffins are golden, dry and springy to the touch, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 17 to 20 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes. Unmold the muffins. Serve them warm or at room temperature, with butter. Makes 12 muffins.
Update: I made these again with apricot bits and quince jam- delicious. I also reduced the sugar to a 1/2 cup. Do not overbake these by the way you will have seriously dry muffins.

9 comments:

cocoa and coconut said...

Wonderful combination

Joanne said...

These look tasty! What a great way to spice up zucchini muffins!

Anonymous said...

Now that's a flavor combination I hadn't thought of, and yet, it sounds like it would work so well. Even better, I have both zucchini and apricot jam on hand right now! Hmm, I may just have to play with this...

kat said...

I need to try this since the zucchini muffins I made last week had such a bad texture

Unknown said...

These look incredible. I love the idea of apricot with the zucchini. Thanks too for the advice on the lemon curd. Don't apologize for helping do better in the kitchen. I always want to learn so "verbose" away! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Lori, thanks for visiting my blog. Your apricot and zucchini muffins look delicious, I also like the music, very uplifting, great idea, thanks, Patty

grace said...

apricot jam--huzzah! that particular ingredient needs to come around more often! :)

Murasaki Shikibu said...

I have marmalade! If you say it's really good, it's got to be. :D

suzybel56 said...

I love any kind of muffins. Just happen to have zucchini from my garden, dried cherries and an open jar of marmalade which is not getting eaten.