Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Dilled Zucchini Soup

I know, you are probably sick of zucchini.  I saw on Serious Eats that the question was, what are you sick of- tomatoes? zucchini? watermelon?  Me, none of it.  I might be sick of canning but I am sure not sick of fresh vegetables or fruit. Variety is the key for me.  We don't have an overabundance of anything from the garden and when we do I either freeze it or can it.  For instance this soup.  It went from the pot tot he freezer because I know I will enjoy it as a quick meal a month or two from now.  I did of course taste it and while it is very simplistic, it is very delicious.  You can of course tweak it to your tastes but something about pureed zucchini and onion makes for one creamy soup.

Dilled Zucchini Soup

2 tablespoons fresh dill or dried dill weed
4 cups zucchini, chopped
1 medium onion, diced (about 3/4 cup to 1 cup)
1 clove garlic
2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Saute onion and zucchini in oil and butter until golden.  Add minced garlic, cook one minute more.  Puree zucchini and onion and add in dill.  Return to pan and add in broth, season with salt and pepper.  Heat until it reaches a gentle simmer.  Cook for about 10 minutes.

*If you like a thinner soup just add more broth.  I tend to eat it like a puree. 

UPDATE 7/7/11:  This freezes really well.  I am so wanting to make it again.  Absolutely loved it.

7 comments:

Avril said...

My lips say....Wow this looks yummy!!! I just love soup! - and then soup with zucchini = serious yum!!!

grace said...

it's so thick and creamy, and the hint of dill is a nice twist! lovely hue too. :)

Barbara Bakes said...

Great idea to freeze it to enjoy a taste of summer later. I need to do more of that.

kat said...

I never thought of zucchini soup. Like you a lot of our stuff gets preserved for winter when we can't get it locally

The Blonde Duck said...

That looks perfect for these hot days!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you- I still can't get enough of that fresh summer produce! Bring on the zucchini especially, because this soup looks perfect... I just adore a good, thick soup, so you're totally speaking my language here.

Fresh Local and Best said...

Oh this is a terrific recipe to use up all of that zucchini. It would be great one day to be in a state to be tired of too many tomatoes, zucchini or watermelon, so far it hasn't happened yet.