Thursday, August 12, 2010

Chop Chop Salad with Lime Basil Vinaigrette


I love the idea of a chop-chop salad. I love to say chop-chop. Why? 'Cause I am silly like that. I really am a salad girl. I love it. Once in a while though I crave a medley of veggies minus the lettuce, especially when all of these fresh vegetable are in season. Enter my chop-chop salad. We (I really mean I because my husband never broke away from his work to do the grill) added some grilled flank steak and if you really want to round out this meal you could add a loaf of crusty bread. A nice, fresh, summer time meal. (My honey has been working WAY too much). 

Have I ever told you how much I enjoy dicing vegetables?  Maybe my true calling is to a be a sous chef.  I have always found it to be very relaxing.  Does anyone else have an affinity to chop chop?

Chop-Chop Salad with Lime Basil Vinaigrette
my ode to summer produce creation

4 cups zucchini diced
2 cups fresh corn off the cob (off of about 4 cobs)
6 radishes, diced
4 green onions, sliced
1 small red onion (about a 1/2 cup), fine diced
1 cup kohlrabi
1 roasted red pepper, chopped
1 avocado, diced
6-8 roma tomatoes, diced
10 leaves of basil, chiffonade

dressing:

3/4 cup of olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon sugar
juice of three or four limes
fresh cracked pepper
1 tablespoon dijon mustard

Combine all the chopped vegetables in a large bowl.  In a small bowl or a large measuring cup whisk together lime juice, dijon, sugar, salt and pepper.  Slowly drizzle in olive oil while whisking away.  You will have quite a bit of dressing.  You can use any portion left over for salads or even some bean salads.  Or you can just reduce the amounts given for a smaller quantity. It will keep for a couple weeks in the fridge.

6 comments:

kat said...

What a great use of all the stuff that is in the garden right now! We love steak on salad too

cocoa and coconut said...

Haha "chop-chop" that's cute. I love this combination and the diced veggies are fun too

The Blonde Duck said...

That does look fun and tasty!

grace said...

chop chop IS fun to say, and what a GORGEOUS final product! that vinaigrette is completely alluring as well. yep, it's safe to say that i'm liking this. :)

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a fabulous salad. It's one I'm certainly going to try. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

P.S. It's wonderful to have them here. My younger daughter and her family join us next week.

Mimi said...

This is a petty tasty looking salad.
Mimi