Saturday, August 21, 2010

Yellow Split Pea Stew


The last four times my husband and I have been out to eat we went to a local Ethiopian restaurant.  Injera, which truly draws me to the place, along with healthy, nutritious, supremely tasty food, is truly an addiction.  There is something so amazing about injera.  I want to make it.  Mostly because I do want to try some other restaurants around town but I simply can not give up this Ethiopian kick.  I bought the teff flour and I have a recipe so I am so close to making it.  Along the way though I thought I'd try some of the dishes I really enjoy, here's one.

Yellow Split Pea Stew or Kik Alicha
Adapted from this recipe.

3 cups water
1 cup dried yellow split peas
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 small onion, chopped
1 teaspoon minced jalapeno
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1 inch-long piece fresh ginger, peeled,
finely chopped 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon salt

Place 3 cups of the water and the peas in large saucepan. Heat over high heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium; cook until almost tender, about 20 minutes.

Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat; cook onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, jalapeno and turmeric; cook 1 minute more.

Add a little water if necessary; cover. Cook on low heat 3 minutes. Add mixture to cooked peas; stir in salt. Simmer until peas are very soft, about 30 minutes. Taste; adjust seasonings.

7 comments:

cocoa and coconut said...

Sounds great and healthy! I love the colour of it, and the texture.

Shelby said...

I have never had opportunity to try Ethiopian food. This sounds great though. I love there is jalapeno in it!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Mmmmmmmm, yum!

grace said...

your stew looks all-together comforting and delicious!

kat said...

I just had some Ethiopian food this weekend, so good

Mimi said...

Lots of flavor in that stew. I need to bookmark for fall when we cooler weather.
Mimi

Anonymous said...

Tried making this for lunch today. It is awesome. Thanks fr the addition of jalapeno!