Thursday, August 5, 2010

Calabacitas


One of the best things of this summer was a few activities we did at Barnes and Noble. I am not promoting here, I am just saying this is one of the best activities of summer that was free! The first activity was a reading of some Fancy Nancy Books, followed by a Fancy, Nancy Spa door hanger craft. The kids were served a mini vanilla frappacino with a pirouette cookie. The second activity was a reading of the Very Hungry Caterpillar followed by an ice cream cone! For free! How nice is that? The ladies that head it up are real sweet. The girls really enjoy every aspect of this activity.  Take the time to search for freebies, they are certainly worth it.

With super hot temperatures continuing I would have to say that I have not been doing a lot of baking and cooking. Here was one recipe that was totally worth the time and effort (and sweat). Calabacitas!

Creamy, delicious, nutritious... these totally bordered on decadent. Seriously! I really am a vegetable fan to say something like that but I think even if you are not a big fan of vegetables you will like this dish.

Calabacitas
original recipe here.

3 ears fresh corn on the cob, corn cut away from cob
1 small piece of a fresh poblano chiles
1 large white onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 pound zucchini, cut into 1-inch wedges
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried epazote
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup queso fresco, crumbled
Salt and black pepper
Fresh corn tortillas

Roast pablano chili over flame.  You can use a gas burner on your stove top or you can roast them on the grill.  Not a bad idea to roast a bunch and freeze in small portions.


Reserve some of the water from cooking the corn or you can boil the cobs in water to get the broth used for this recipe.

Saute the onion in butter until transluscent.  Add the chopped zucchini, epazote, garlic, corn and chilies.  Saute until lightly golden.  Add the water and the sour cream, continue cooking for about five minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Sprinkle with queso fresco and serve with corn tortillas.

8 comments:

grace said...

this is my kind of meal! truly, lori, i love every single component here. there'd be no stopping with just one serving for me!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Take me to your leader :-). Lori, these sound delicious. I love this kind of food. I must share a personal experience re: inexpensive summer activities. My Mom used to enroll us in vacation bible schools all over the south side of Chicago. She was able to keep us busy for 5 to 6 weeks every summer and all it cost was bus fare to get us to the various locations. We thought the Baptists had the best summer school. It was livelier than the Lutherans and Episcopalians. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Mimi said...

Lori,
This is one tasty dish. I had to laugh at Mary's comment because we too hit all of the VBS in the area, however we rated them by the quality(and probably quantity) of the snacks served. The Nazarene Church won hands down every summer.
Mimi

Lori said...

Mary and Mimi- that is too funny. My girls just finished a week at the Lutherans VBS and had done one at the Catholic church earlier this week. I have to say that they love the two cookie a day place! Ha ha ha

Chef Dennis Littley said...

now that looks delicious!! all those wonderful flavors coming together! and I love Barnes and Noble!

Joanne said...

I love spending time in bookstores! Barnes and noble is definitely a good one. These calabacitas look absolutely delicious!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Mmmmmmmm, lovely and I would have enjoyed joining in too :)

Elizabeth said...

Yum! When I was in Mexico my landlady would make a recipe similar to this... so delicious and yes definitely comfort food!