Thursday, September 29, 2011

Creamy Butternut Squash Soup

Where have I been lately?  I am turning into the absent minded blogger.  In my defense, September is a really super busy month.  Lots of canning and freezing in process.  I will share with you later this week what I canned.  Very delicious. For now I will tell you about this amazing soup.  I found the recipe on Allrecipes.  I changed it up a bit because you know I have to do that.  I just could not bring myself to add all the cream cheese that the recipe called for.  While I am sure it would be absolutely delicious, I don't really think it is all that necessary.  Believe me when I tell you- you won't miss it at all.


Creamy Butternut Squash Soup



recipe adapted from this recipe

6 tablespoons chopped onion
4 tablespoons margarine
6 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
3 cups water
4 cubes chicken bouillon (or 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
4 ounces cream cheese

In a large saucepan, saute onions in margarine until tender. Add squash, water, bouillon, marjoram, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Bring to boil; cook 20 minutes, or until squash is tender.

Puree squash and cream cheese in a blender or food processor in batches until smooth. Return to saucepan, and heat through. Or use an immersion blender.  Do not allow to boil.

No comments: