Saturday, March 30, 2013

Eggs and Mayonnaise


Its very exciting when Easter comes because its a good sign that Spring is coming soon.  Or at least I hope so because I miss Spring.  Looking forward to beautiful Spring green grass, buds on trees, birds singing, milder days.... Ahhh.

I made some dyed Easter eggs with my kids this week.  I am pretty traditional with dyeing eggs.  A mug, hot water, a tablespoon of white vinegar, dye and a spoon dedicated tot hat mug.  Simple.  Easy peasy.

Some of my dyes are getting old, must go thru and get rid of them or use them up quickly.  They kind of made the eggs spotty.  The kids liked it, thought it was kind of cool.

Since we are on the subject of eggs, I made some mayonnaise for the first time.  Its pretty delicious and yes, I would make it again and maybe play with the flavors.  Cost wise, it is roughly about the same price as buying mayonnaise.  I'll have to figure out the exact cost next time because I am curious.
The mayo did break a little.  I probably did not mix it long enough.  I got excited and it was dinner time. everyone was hungry and ready for this special mayonnaise.
Mayonnaise

1 cup oil
2 egg yolks
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a blender combine egg yolks, lemon juice and salt.  While blender is running drizzle in oil. Blend until cohesive..
****************************
Next time I will use this recipe:

1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 pinches sugar
2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 cup oil, safflower or corn

click here to go to the original recipe at Food Network.

No comments: