Sunday, March 24, 2013

Mint Chocolate Brownies

What is it about the combination of chocolate and mint that makes me go stark raving mad?  I have given up sugar but I have to admit I had two of these.  Not bad considering they called me regularly from the pantry. The kids really enjoyed them. 

Even though I have a Hershey's Kiss there in the picture, I didnt use those in the brownies.  The recipe is from Hersheys and it is suppose to have York peppermint patties in in.  I didnt have any of those but I did have Ande's mints, the peppermint ones that were out at Christmas.  Yes, they are still around.  I told you I gave up sugar.  If I had not they would all be gone by now.

This makes a big pan, which is great if you are going to take them to some kind of function.  Next time I make them I will use the York Peppermint Patties.

Here it is if you want to try it. Now dont swallow your tongue when you see that this recipe has five eggs in it.  I know, its a lot but trust me it does not taste eggy and these are very chewy and delicious.

Mint Chocolate Brownies
Adapted from this recipe at Hershey's.

1 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
5 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups sugar
24 Ande's peppermint candies
1-1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter or margarine , melted

Spray a 13 x 9 pan and heat oven to 350F.

In a large bowl, mix butter, sugar and vanilla.  Mix thoroughly.  Add in eggs, one at a time.  In a seperate bowl combine dry ingredients and add it to the wet ingredients.  Stir just until combined.  Take half of mixture and smooth into pan.  Place chocolates over top then pour the remaining batter over the top.  Bake for 50 to 55 minutes.

4 comments:

Sandy H said...

Just so you know, my blog reader chose this blog as the "cover story" on my "New Today" feed so I was presented with an extra big picture of very tasty looking, mouth-watering brownies as I was reading my blogs over my breakfast yogurt. Sigh. Thanks so much for that.

They do look tasty!

Colette (Coco) said...

Too easy to make....very dangerous.

Anonymous said...

Oh yum, your brownies sound so good!

grace said...

i prefer andes to peppermint patties, so i support your substitution! :)