Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Turkey Enchilada with Salsa Verde



Love, love tomatillos.  I had some frozen, all made up into salsa verde from this past summer.  I was wanting to make some turkey enchiladas.  Oh yum.  Yah know, you really dont even need a recipe for something like this, a few key components and you can mix in whatever you like. I am putting it on my blog because I particularly liked the taste of these.

One thing you will notice is that I used some pork fat.  Generally I never cooked with it but the price of oil has gone up so much that I decided to freeze pork grease the last time I made pulled pork.  It has a lot of flavor.  Certainly though you could use any kind of oil you like.  

Turkey Enchiladas with Salsa Verde

2 pounds ground turkey
1 onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper chopped
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup sour cream
2 ounces cream cheese
1 cup mozzarella
1 packet taco seasoning or two tablespoons of your own taco seasoning.
1 tablespoon pork fat
 6-8 flour tortillas

In a frying pan saute onion and pepper in a 1/2 of a tablespoon of  pork fat, until transluscent.  Remove from pan and set aside.  In the same pan fry the turkey in the remaining pork fat until just cooked.  Add in taco seasoning.  Place turkey with vegetables.  Stir in cream cheese and stir until melted.  Add sour cream and mozzarella.  In a 6 x 10 spoon half of tomatill sauce.  Spoon filling into tortillas and place, seam side down, into casserole dish.After rolling all the tortillas, spoon remainder fo tomatill sauce over top.

I covered and baked it but they were a tad soggy, next time I think I would leave it uncovered.  I guess it all depends on how 'soupy' your salsa verde sauce is.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to an hour.

1 comment:

grace said...

EXCELLENT idea, saving your pork fat and adding it to a dish such as this. i'm sure the enchiladas taste phenomenal!